By: Theresa Greenwell
Vegetarian options are on the rise, but many options are so loaded with sugar and cream that it can be hard to stay healthy if you don’t know what to look for. We found a little appetizer we thought we’d share to get you started!
Serves: Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms (tops)
- ½ cup low-fat (not fat-free) cheese
- 2 Tbsp. toasted and chopped walnuts
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray the glass cooking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place mushrooms face down in the dish.
- Lightly coat mushrooms with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the cheese, walnuts and thyme springs over mushrooms.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and the mushrooms are softened.
- Serve it hot!
The trick to keeping this appetizer healthy and you on track is to watch the portion sizes, but also make sure that you are using low-fat rather than fat-free cheese! Fat-free options are very likely to contain extra sugar and sodium in order to make up for the lost taste. Find more of our TLS health tips here!
Do you have a favorite TLS recipe? Let us know in the comments!