By: Lara Shapiro
As we welcome in spring, it’s important to keep our bodies as nourished as the life that’s beginning to blossom around us. This simple recipe is packed full of protein and vitamins and won’t take much of your time! It yields about 2 servings, so simply double up the ingredients if you’re cooking for more, or just want some leftovers to pack up for lunch!
Serves: Makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- ½ chopped red onion
- ½ chopped red bell pepper
- 3-4 cups baby kale
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard (regular mustard will do if you prefer)
- ½ squeezed lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions
- While the quinoa is cooking, spray a skillet pan with non-stick spray (or a drizzle of olive oil) and add chopped broccoli, onion, and red bell pepper to skillet pan over medium-high heat. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add baby kale to skillet pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and soft.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the olive oil, onion powder, mustard, lime juice, and salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk; set aside
- When quinoa and vegetables are cooked, you may choose to serve separately, or combine all the ingredients and toss the dressing right in
The fun part about recipes such as these is that you can mix it up however you like! You may use frozen broccoli for this recipe, but fresher is always better! If you are not the biggest advocate of kale, try swapping it out for spinach. This dressing is a very mild one so, if you desire, add extra salt and pepper, onion powder, or lime juice for an extra zing.Try this same dish with different vegetables, or try it with other homemade or store-bought dressings… The options are endless!
What did you think of this TLS-approved recipe? Tell us in the comments below!