By: Debbie Lui
Learning how to read nutrition label can help you to make healthier food choices. Nutrition labels might seem simple, but some of us find nutrition label confusing and complicated. The secret to reading nutrition label is to know what you are looking for. Being aware of calories can help you navigate making healthier choices, however in TLS, calories isn’t calories, TLS doesn’t advocate counting calories. It is the quality of foods you eat that are important; especially when you are eating out. We have listed out the main 5 points that you need to pay attention to when reading a nutrition label. These tips will help you to understand nutrition label and make health food choices with ease!
1) Serving Size
– Know your serving size to ensure you are only taking one serving or that you are not consuming more than you needed to. This information can be found at the top of the label, and it tells you the total number of servings per package as well.
– Look for foods that contains less than 5 grams of total fat (except for the good fat). Low fat food (contain less than 3 grams per serving) would be an ideal healthier food choice.
– In this section, you will find both sugars and dietary fiber. Pay attention to the sugar content, choose foods with 5 grams of sugar or less. Beware of added sugars. This information on nutrition labels will help you discern whether there is naturally occurring sugar in a food (like milk sugar in dairy products) or whether there are added grams of sugar to sweeten food. Dietary fiber is another element you should look for, the higher the fiber content, the slower that food will break down, keeping you full longer. We would look for foods that contain 5 or more grams.
– Looking at this section helps to figure out how many servings you need to meet your daily protein intake.
5) Sodium & Cholesterol
– For some individuals, they might need to pay attention to their sodium and cholesterol consumption. Unless your healthcare provider has specifically advised to go low on sodium or cholesterol, you don’t have to completely avoid these nutrients, in fact sodium and cholesterol take an important role on the body functioning
Remember, the best food choices have no nutrition label! Fresh fruit and vegetables are great nutritious and healthy options!
If you would like to learn more about reading nutrition label, visit https://hk.tlsslim.com/?langCode=ENG and click on the “How to read labels” video.