By: Tayler Glenn
It’s National Chocolate Chip Day, so what better way to celebrate than to whip up something with those heavenly little morsels! Check out the TLS-approved, healthy versions of your favorite chocolate fixes below!
The flavor of chocolate chips is simply intoxicating which means it’s easy to get a little chocolate wasted and knock yourself off track! There’s a happy medium between deprivation and overindulgence, and we’re going to lead you right to it with our favorite chocolate-based recipes below:
Cookie Dough Energy Bites
These delicious Cookie Dough Energy Bites are a few steps up from your usual store-bought cookie dough. Plus, the no-bake recipe means they’re super easy to make! Just whip them up + store them in the fridge (if they make it that far!).
Serves: Makes 13 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 2 servings TLS Shake – Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- Combine almond butter, honey, almonds, TLS Shake, and chocolate chips in a medium bowl
- Mix well.
- Roll into thirteen balls, 1-inch in diameter.
- Dust with nutmeg
- Store in fridge
These soft, sweet cookies swap flour for quinoa + maple syrup for processed sugar, making them a surprisingly healthy National Chocolate Chip Day dessert! They’re perfect for a quick energy boost to hold you over until dinner and keep you from sugary, fatty office treats. And, because this recipe yields 24 cookies, there’s enough to share!
Serves: Makes 24 servings
Prep Time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup almond butter
- 5 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, crushed
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Lightly coat two large baking sheets with spray.
Combine quinoa, almond butter, maple syrup, salt, extract, and egg in a large bowl
Fold in chocolate chips
Gently mix until blended.
Drop by rounded Tbsp. onto greased baking sheets.
- Top with crushed peanuts + gently press into dough.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until set.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets
Remove from sheets and cool completely on a wire rack
Vanilla Cookie Dough Dip
This is one of our favorite takes on edible cookie dough, and this healthy protein powder recipe requires only 5 simple ingredients! Plus, it’s gluten-free, paleo, plant-based friendly, and ready in 5 minutes! Deliciousness you don’t have to wait for? Count us in! Pair this with your favorite fruit for a delicious, decadent snack!
Serves: Makes 1-2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 5 Tbsp TLS Shake – Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp. dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the protein, coconut flour, and sea salt
- Add in the applesauce, almond mil, and butter extract.
- Stir until fluffy and mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Serve with apples or your favorite fruit right away, or chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes!
Chocolate Caramel Apple Chips
Have you seen the size of a caramel apple? No doubt they’re beautiful and absolutely delicious, but eating one of those mammoth sugar bombs in one sitting is a blood-sugar disaster, never mind feeding one entire apple to a kid! This healthier take eliminates a ton of sugar but doesn’t sacrifice taste! It’s all about balance, right?
Serves: Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 90 minutes
- 1 large apple
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Half of a 14-ounce package caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. shortening
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate candy melts
- 1/8 cup crushed almonds
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Core + cut the apple into very thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet (don’t overlap)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, + bake for 45 minutes
- Slide the parchment onto a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the caramels and water.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle the caramel over the apple chips + set aside
- Place the white chocolate bits and shortening in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high in 15-second bursts, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle over apples + set aside
- Repeat with dark chocolate, let cool
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Happy National Chocolate Chip Day!